Android app development has become a regular trend to boost your business, but the main factor deciding whether it’ll be a success or not is the programming language used. For a larger number of people, java is the best option because it is easily available. But, the introduction of Kotlin in the scene reduced the confidence that developers had in Java. According to a lot of sources, it could be said that Google didn’t have many benefits sticking to Java for Android. Hence, jumping to Kotlin seemed the best option. Taking this in the notice, let us have a look at the important points.
Android required calculative and to-the-point to show new ideas to execute them in Kotlin’s modern language.
The language that focused more on security and had better reliability was required.
What is Java?
Java is a common programming language that is class-based object-oriented and designed to have as few implementation dependencies as possible.
Java is the most powerful language and supports the development of multiple software applications operating systems as well as new programming languages and the reason for its outstanding superior performance is its features
- Java is multiplatform and works practically on any device, server, or operating system.
- Java has strong security measures which make the chance of memory to get corrupt very low. Also, Java has a good coding base which makes it strong.
- Creating Modular Applications in Java is very easy and since it has features like reusability, it makes the code even stronger.
- Java has the power of using third-party code to make writing codes easier.
- Java is fairly simple to handle and removing bugs from it becomes easier when compared to Kotlin.
- The standards of safety in Java are of higher quality than Kotlin.
- The syntax seems a bit difficult to understand when compared to languages like Python or C++.
- In Java, some content may not be accessible to the user since it could be unfit for the device.
- The accessibility of advancements in mobile development is not an easy task.
- It has been noticed that Java has some issues with API design in Android.
- Development in Java is mostly test-driven and requires the user to write more code and has a higher probability of bugs and errors.
- Java is a tad slower than other languages and requires a good share of the device’s memory.
Major Projects in Java:
What is Kotlin?
Kotlin arrived on February 16 2016 and it was launched by JetBrains. Kotlin is a statically typed open-source programming language that runs on JVM and an official language for developing android applications. Kotlin actually gets fragmented into Java byte code for further compiling which caught the eye of a lot of Android Developers. There are a lot of features that make Kotlin different from Java.
- Kotlin Application Development takes very less time for compilation, lightweight, and prevents applications from taking up more space.
- The codes written in Kotlin are smaller in size, meaning that it will have fewer bugs and will make debugging faster.
- A bytecode, which is compiled by Kotlin can be executed with JVM. Thus, the libraries and frameworks from Java can be made to run in a project based on Kotlin.
- Kotlin script is basically used for configuring projects in Android Studio for auto-completion aids, and also reduces error detection time during compilation
- Kotlin is very much secure against NullPointerException.
- Kotlin is not very well established. Therefore, the developer community is less in numbers compared to famous programming languages.
- Kotlin matches weak patterns, which makes it very complex to read the code.
- Since Kotlin is newer compared to Kotlin, it has a smaller user base and support community.
- Kotlin’s steep learning curve and switching teams are because of language’s strict syntax can be a difficulty.
Many few Kotlin developers can be seen in the market. So, the job of finding a person experienced in Kotlin is a big challenge.
Major Projects in Kotlin
- Twidere for Twitter
Java’s Edge over Kotlin – Java vs Kotlin
1. Checked Exceptions: Number one is that Java has checked exceptions at the same time as Kotlin doesn’t observe small packages effects within the end that require exception specifications which could each enhance developer productivity and enhance code satisfaction. Without them, the productivity was observed to have a significant amount of reduction with no improvement in code quality.
2. Non-Private Fields: Encapsulation is vital in any program for attaining a proper degree of maintainability making use of encapsulating the illustration of an item.
It is frequently enforced how callers engage with it, furthermore, it’s possible for illustration to vary without the need to transfer callers, furnished most people API stays unchanged in non-personal fields or public fields.
In Java, there are many useful scenarios where the colors of the things change according to the representation. Its approach such fields divulge the illustration of the factor to the callers, Kotlin doesn’t have non-personal fields.
3. Static Members and Static Methods: Now. in android development, things are moving quickly from Java to Kotlin and one of the maximum crucial troubles faced by the developers when shifting from Java to Kotlin is creating a static technique because, in Kotlin, there’s nothing static.
Yes, you heard it correctly! Kotlin doesn’t have a static keyboard if you’re an android developer and in case you’re keen on making android programs in Java then you want to have used static keywords.
In your software, to shape a few static variables and static strategies, static variables belong to a category and not its instance is equivalent to static techniques additionally.
4. Primitive Types: These are the building blocks in Kotlin. In other words, all arrangements that you see in Kotlin are derived from Primitive Types. Hence, Primitive Types have high efficiency in terms of processing time as well as the memory occupied.
5. Ternary Operator Support: Java has the availability of this support that helps in reducing the length of the code. In simple terms, Kotlin doesn’t enjoy this freedom. Now, without the support of static methods and ternary operator, you will face some troubles during the time of development.
Kotlin’s Edge Over Java– Java vs Kotlin
1. One of the most commonplace pitfalls in lots of programming languages such as Java is that gaining access to a member of a null reference can end in a null reference exception.
2. In Java, this could be the equal of a null pointer exception for a brief courtroom lands time machine is aimed to do away with the null pointer exception. From our code, not simplest this, however, the sole possibilities of npe can also be a selected call to via null pointer exception or the usage of exclamatory or now not-operator next is that the separate interface for the readable and mutable collection.
3. The Kotlin library offers conventional interfaces, training, and functions for developing, populating, and coping with collections of any type. The amassing interfaces and related capabilities are positioned in Kotlin. The collections bundle of the Kotlin well-known library offers an implementation for basic collection kinds sets, lists, and maps.
In 2021, the competition between the programming languages is gonna get even stricter. Taking Java and Kotlin into account, both of them have their fair share of advantages and disadvantages.
But the timing is just too early to accept that Kotlin will take over Java in 2021. The user community that Java enjoys is very large compared to Java and that isn’t going to be replaced in the near future.
Businesses need to pick an Android App Development corporation that holds information in both Java and Kotlin, in place of concentrating and proscribing themselves to a Java or Kotlin Android software improvement agency.
Is Kotlin better or Java?
For most, Kotlin’s strengths outweigh the language’s setbacks. There are definite limitations within Java that impede Android API design. Kotlin is inherently lightweight, clean and far less verbose, especially in terms of writing callbacks, data classes, and getters/setters.
Is Kotlin Replacing Java?
Kotlin is an open-source programming language that’s often pitched as a Java replacement; it’s also a “first class” language for Android development, according to Google. Kotlin, on the other hand, is streamlined, with some great features, and comes with a solid library. Due to which it seems that kotlin is replacing java in 202.
Can I learn Kotlin without Java?
You can start with Kotlin without having any knowledge of Java. You can find many resources on the internet to learn Kotlin. You can comparatively find fewer examples of codes in Kotlin than in Java.
How difficult is Kotlin?
Kotlin is not hard to learn. Kotlin is a JVM-compliant language but it is very different from Java – in terms that you can accomplish more in very few code lines. Lesser lines of code means
: lesser code to maintain
: lesser bugs
: more productivity
Why is Kotlin so popular?
Reasons for Kotlin’s popularity over java. Kotlin is more Android Focused than java. Kotlin was written by the same folks who created popular integrated design environments (IDEs), so its background comes from mobile industry pros, who were looking to solve specific problems.
Also Try Reading
The Node is currently the world’s most popular technology that is opening up infinite career possibilities for any developer who is looking for potential for growth in this field. You can create different applications, such as apps for social media, instant messaging platforms, apps for real-time monitoring, online gaming, and tools for collaboration. Several...
React-native apps correspond with today’s mobile app development needs by building apps that give a better user experience, are cross-platform, and faster to develop. Probably, that is the reason every top brand in the market creates react-native apps for promoting their enterprise. React Native brought more power to mobile app development technology, was specially...
Please leave a comment here and share your valuable feedback with us!