Presently, it is very difficult to choose one best out of the two, but at the moment it is great going for Dart as it has taken off very strongly.
After Google announced Flutter beta for cross-platform mobile app development in 2017, Dart’s popularity is continuously on the rise. Developers having previous experience with OOPs (Object-oriented programming), can easily pick up Dart but other mobile developers have to learn its concepts to get started with it.
Dart is a fairly new language for most of the developers outside of Google. Although, Google has put a lot of effort into documenting the Dart programming language, it’s still hard for developers to find solutions for specific problems. In terms of coding style and syntax, it has Java-like syntax, so developers from OOPS background can master and use Dart easily once they learn the basics. There is a comparatively small community and some online groups for Dart and Flutter.
While writing the Dart code, it always compile the code both in ahead od time(AOT) and just in time (JIT). That means, as you are writing the code, Dart is simultaneously compiling and executing it in the background and you get real time results. No more waiting to compile!
Main features of Dart:
- Portability:- Dart can easily work in any operating system, there is no such specific hardware configuration or architecture requirement to run this language. A pure Dart written applications can smoothly run in most of the major mobile operating systems and the web applications will run in any browser.
- Great productivity:- A good programming language is that which can complete mammoth amount of difficult tasks in a shorter span of time with supreme ease of efforts, and this is where Dart excels from most of the other languages. From its syntax to behind-the-scenes work scenario, everything is perfectly suitable to increase developer’s productivity. Also, if you encounter something that the language is not capable to handle on its own, then it has a large collection of libraries and packages on its official platform.
- One language, many platforms:- Dart can single-handedly manage many platforms like mobile apps, web apps, a desktop app, scripting task and server-side/ client-side work. Of course, you write once and it will be executed on different platforms with ease.
Tools that Integrate with Dart-
- Flutter-The cross-platform mobile UI framework by Google.
- Aqueduct– Multi-threaded server-side framework.
- Dart Webdev– A framework to build web apps with Google’s services integration.
- Angular Dart– Another popular alternative to Dart Webdev.
Companies using Dart:
- Health Dynamics
- Auth0-A token-based sign-up tool for your apps or APIs.
- Yarn-A package manager and a good alternative to NPM.
- Gatsby JS– An open-source framework to build websites or apps with React JS at a faster rate.
- Parcel– A fast web application bundler.
- Azure Cosmos DB– Microsoft’s globally distributed database service.
- Algolia– An API for building search results.
- Lodash– A library which provides utility functions for common programming tasks.
- CircleCI– A popular continuous integration and delivery platform.
- Jetpack– It wraps webpack to create a smoother developer experience.
- It can be used on both front-end and back-end.
- It’s easily used everywhere.
- It comes with a bundle of useful and popular frameworks.
- It’s fast, light-weight and flexible.
- It’s more trust-worthy as it’s backed by Google.
- It’s scalable across various projects.
- It’s like Java.
- It’s extensively used for the Flutter mobile UI framework.
- Dart is type-safe and compiled with both AOT and JIT compilers
- It has a single object paradigm i.e. classes. Nothing else.
- You cannot rename the function without writing another assignment statement.
- Dart has very limited resources online and it’s hard to find solutions to problems.
- Dart is fairly new to the programmers and rarely used in the market.
- One error can cause the entire website to stop loading.
- No multithreading support.
- There are constant changes as a new framework lands after a regular interval.
Quick Wrap up
Is Dart faster than Java?
What is Dart VM?
The Dart software development kit (SDK) ships with a stand-alone Dart VM, allowing Dart code to run in a command-line interface environment. As the language tools included in the Dart SDK are written mostly in Dart, the stand-alone Dart VM is a critical part of the SDK.
Android app development has become a regular trend to boost your business, but the main factor deciding whether it’ll be a success or not is the programming language used. For a larger number of people, java is the best option because it is easily available. But, the introduction of Kotlin in the scene reduced...
The Node is currently the world’s most popular technology that is opening up infinite career possibilities for any developer who is looking for potential for growth in this field. You can create different applications, such as apps for social media, instant messaging platforms, apps for real-time monitoring, online gaming, and tools for collaboration. Several...
Please leave a comment here and share your valuable feedback with us!